Friday, June 21, 2013

Fitness Friday #2

MtWalkerViewWell.  My inactivity over the winter months caught up with me today.  Went for a round trip 5-mile hike on Mt. Walker (2.5 miles up and 2.5 miles down).  It is a steep, continuous climb and last year it would not have been a problem.  Made it up 2 miles and that was it.  My legs were like lead.  Coming down was worse.  I have had back issues for about 10 years and this last year it has affected the iliotibial band on the right leg.  So….halfway down the leg simply gave out.  Surprised the heck out of me.  Never hurt; just simply collapsed.  Finally stood up after a couple of tries and slowly made it down the mountain.  

So, what does that tell me.  I need to strengthen my legs, focus on my core to help my back and just begin walking on a regular basis.  No more once a week strenuous hikes until I am confident I have my strength again.

This week I will start with morning stretches to focus on the back and get some sort of daily walking exercise.

As an aside….We did drive up to the Mt. Walker summit once we made it back to the car.  You can look out over the Puget lowlands to the Seattle skyline and beyond.  In June, rhododendrons grow wild along the steep slopes of Mount Walker and they were spectacular. I hear Mount Walker is one of the best places in the state to witness the state flower.  Worth the trouble—driving or walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...