Sunday, March 2, 2014

Magic Moment–#4 Every Good Boy Does Fine

TypewriterIf you took a class in typing, not keyboarding, but typing you recognize the title of today’s post.  Class instruction to learn a typing skill included the repetition of the above phrase.  My father was a high school teacher and his primary class was typing.  He also taught a few classes in office machines and bookkeeping, but typing was his bread and butter.  He taught typing to high school students during the day, adults at night, and everyone else during summer school.  He managed and played cashier at the high school concession stand on the weekends and ran the “audio visual” during events in the auditorium. 

Obviously, my father was not a lazy man and he expected his children to work hard, too.  At the very young age of nine, I was required to attend summer school  with a minimum of three classes.  Two of the classes were always, always, typing and swimming.  You should know my fingers fly on the keyboard as I type this post.  It is as easy as breathing.  And I am a fish in the water.

You would think I would have been resentful spending my summers so structured.  I was not.  My classmates were older and I felt important.  And what a head start.  The skills I learned—hard work and typing served me well during my work years.  I worked a full-time secretarial job while I attended and finally completed college--never taking out a loan, never borrowing from the parents and living on my own. 

Really not magic, but a special privilege to have a father who taught me to be a strong, independent woman.  No, wait, maybe that is magic.  Thanks, Dad.  I love you and miss you.  You were an ornery old cuss, but I am grateful for the life lessons.

7 comments:

  1. What a nice tribute! When I took typing class, I had a terrible time. I would read b and type d. I never understand the transpositions and reversals until I taught first grade. I had / have dyslexia! Not once did I get better than a C and that was a disgrace in my eyes. Now I know. Would you believe my first job after we got married was in a bank in the proofing department. I had to run tapes of the check totals and balance with the teller's. It was terrible, but they were so nice to me and gave me a job in the executive offices until I decided it was time to return to college. What memories you stirred in me. And yes, my dad was a great one too. Like you, I miss him terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to have people help you along. I'm sure you'll always remember your co-workers getting through your challenges. I like remembering all the good in my life and the good people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm still learning about how blogger comments work--did you get my reply just on the blog or on your e-mail?

      Delete
  4. HI Terry - I had "Miss RItt" for typing. I'll always remember here saying "Don't try to fool me by typing a comma over a period. I WILL know!" And a couple of times she had two people sit close together and one person typed the left-hand keys while the other person the right-hand keys. What a hoot -- it took forever to type anything!

    Sometimes, as kids, its difficult to see when our parents are actually helping to prepare us for the future. It sounds like your Dad did a good job of helping you prepare . . . AND you enjoyed it. Good job Dad. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. He really did a lot for his kids, but dang did he have a temper. You wanted to steer clear if he was in a bad mood. I think I remember Miss Ritt. I had Miss Wiley in high school and she was quite a character. Sometimes her wig wasn't on straight--thinking maybe too much boozie! HaHa Did love my Dad, though. Thanks for the kind words, Mary Anne.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...