Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Shortest “Day”

Kids can have a totally different perspective on facts.  It seems perfectly logical to them.  The conclusion is wrong, but it is understandable how they got there.  The result is usually pretty funny.

BillNye So, picture me in grade school science class.  Our graded exam papers are passed back and I got question #7 wrong, “How many hours in a day?”  My answer, “Depends on the time of year and where you live.”  Why did I miss this question?  Like today, December 21, there are only a few hours of daylight, right?  I explain my reasoning to the teacher and he laughs.  He laughs!  “Now, I understand your answer, but you are still wrong.” He then explains the difference between the meaning of day and daylight.

Whenever the solstice comes around I have to shake my head and smile.  But it was perfectly understandable why I reached this conclusion, I was still blond in grade school!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...